The creation of the university is closely connected with the history of the development of sugar industry when Ukraine was its main center in the Russian Empire. Rapid growth of sugar industry required engineers and in the 1940s a number of universities introduced such disciplines as chemistry and technology on the basis of physical and mathematical faculties which enabled their graduates to work at sugar refineries.
But the growing sugar industry demanded more professionals which in its turn required the foundation of new higher education institutions.
In 1884 technical classes were opened in the comprehensive training-school operating on the Smila Sugar Refinery premises. It was the first technical educational institution in the history of the Russian Empire which trained chemical engineers and foremen for sugar production. These technical classes trained 440 specialists in the period of 1894-1917 years. The Kharkiv Technological Institute, opened in 1885, also trained engineers in sugar refinery.
In 1899 Kyiv Polytechnic Institutewas established sponsored by industrialists, representatives of commercial organizations, scientists and state institutions, including well-known sugar manufacturers M. Tereschenko and P. Brodski. Its chemical and technological chair taught sugar, starch, glucose and fermentation technologies. Sugar faculty was set up on the basis of this chair in 1929.
According to the government regulation of the USSR Supreme Soviet on the formation of industry-oriented higher education institutions№1240 of 17 April 1930, the Kyiv Institute of Sugar Refinery (KISR) was established on the basis of sugar refinery faculties of Kyiv Polytechnic Institute, Kamenets-Podilski and Smilianski Institute of Sugar Industry. The institute had chemical (sugar refinery), mechanical engineering (equipment for sugar refineries) and economics faculties.
In 1931-1935 the KISR incorporated the chairs of sugar production of Kharkiv and Leningrad Technological Institutes, Kyiv Confectionary and Fermentation Institute, the mechanical engineering faculty of Voronezh Chemical and Technological Institute of Food Industry, the faculty of agricultural mechanization of Bilotserkivski Agricultural Institute and the mechanical engineering faculty of Poltavski Institute of Meat Technology. V. Fremel was the first Rector of the Institute. In 1930 the institute admitted 450 students.
In 1935 on the occasion of the fifth anniversary of its foundation the institute was renamed the Kyiv Technological Institute of Food Industry named after Mikoian (KTIFI). The institute had a highly qualified teaching staff. Prominent academicians M. Boholubov, M.Ptukha, M.Kravchuk worked there.
A postgraduate course was opened in 1933 and one of the first candidates of science were G. Zmanenski, I.Litvak, V.Popov and others. F.Stefanski, also a graduate from KTIFI, headed the institute. In 1932-1941 the institute trained 2535 economists, tehnologists and mechanical engineers and was among the twenty best USSR higher education institutions.
During the hard times of WWII, the teaching staff, students and graduates of the KTIFI displayed bravery and self-sacrifice in the fight against fascist invaders and many of them lost their lives. Evacuated teachers and students continued their work and study and made important discoveries which contributed to the provision of the army and rear with foodstuffs and medications.
The KTIFI production and trainingfacilities were completely destroyed in the wartime but thanks to the state aid and collective efforts of teachers and students the institute was rebuilt in a new location. The institute significantly expanded and became one of the leading higher education institutionswhich trained specialist for all branches of agricultural and industrial complex of the UkSSR and other USSR republics. New construction was headed by Rector I. Hrytsiuk.
In the 1950s and 1960s the institute facilities were renewed, including a new institute building, students' hostel and two dwelling houses for teaching staff. In 1964 the Institute built a new educational building, an assembly hall and a sport complex. A new laboratory building was put into operation in 1967.
New specialities were opened (industrial heat and power engineering, automation and complex mechanization of chemical and technological processes), new chairs and faculties were organized, and the training of teachers in computing had begun.
Intensive research workwas carried in the institute and its economic efficiency was up sevenfold in the 1965-1970 as compared to the previous period.
Educational work was active: institute sport contests and department parties were held; the student's club, library and large-circulation institute newspaper "Promin'" (Ray) started to play a significant role in the life of students.
1975-1990 were the years of upsurge in the development of the KTIFI thanks to the activity of I. Hulyi, a doctor of technical sciences, academician of the Ukrainian Academy of Agrarian Sciences, who was at the head of the institute for about thirty years.
In this period, the institute premises doubled, new hostels, a sport complex and a new educational building were opened. The institute structure and concept of specialist's training were considerably changed. New specialities were introduced, new chairs and faculties were opened, new technical schools and colleges were incorporated into the institute. Educational consulting centres and extramural faculties were established in different Ukrainian towns and cities.
Great attention was paid to the introduction of the innovative teaching methods, planning and organization the self-directed learningof students, use of the instructional technologies and educational television. The research work of students was oriented to the achievement of practical results: graduation projects included elements of scientific research and the work of the student design bureau became more active.
New approaches to the organization of research work were introduced. There was a transition from individual chair work on research issues to integrated work of several chairs in order to solve large-scale problems of national economy. It was facilitated by the formation of educational, scientific and production complexes. 293 inventors certificates were granted to the institute teachers and students in the 1970s. The fundamental research laboratory, set up in 1978-1980s., was the center of scientific research.
In 1980 the KTIFI was decorated with the Order of the Red Banner of Labour honouring its considerable services to the cause of teaching and education of qualified specialists for national economy and on the occasion of 50 year anniversary of its foundation.
In 1993 the KTIFI was granted the status of university and was renamed the Ukrainian State university of Food Technologies (USUFT).
According to the Decreeof the President of Ukraine №266/2002 of19 March2002and taking into account national and international recognition of its activity and its significant contribution to the development of national education and science the USUFT was granted the status of national university and was renamed the National University of Food Technologies (NUFT).
At present the NUFT is the only technical university in Ukraine which provides trainingof bachelors and masters in 32specialitiesand 30 specializationsfor food, meat, diary, pharmaceutical, microbiological and other branches of agroicultural and industrial complex as well as for food machine building of Ukraine. About 17thousand students study at the University at its full time and extramural faculties.The University comprises 2 Institutes of Postgraduate Education, 9 extramural faculties and 11 technical schools and colleges located in different Ukrainian towns.